Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Trying Omaha hi-lo

I've tried Omaha hi-lo $33 rebuy tournament on Party today. I was quite surprised to see myself get into top 20 out of 100, considering that I didn't rebuy once, and I learned the game only a few hours ago. Without this bad beat (I had 72% equity preflop) I would have been chipleader going into two final tables, but I guess fate had different plans for me. On the other hand it's good, winning shouldn't be that easy. In all my outworldly magnificence, I can't really see myself deserving to win a medium-buyin tourney the first time I try out a new game. There were really good players out there. I like Omaha hi-lo, I'm quite sure it would make a great game for beginning poker players, compared to full ring nl holdem.

The advantages:

- Much bigger skill edge than in holdem, meaning you have a shitload of more ways to get advantage over the donks. Seriously, these guys are nosepickers.
- Low variance.
- Same ultra-tight preflop hand requirements, teaching how to be tight/aggressive.
- Due to having to choose playing hands very carefully, you can play many tables.
- Omaha games in general have bigger pots than holdem, allowing you to pay much more rake - thus clearing bonuses at a faster pace and increased rakeback.
- A good player will have many times bigger bb/100 playing Omaha hi/Omaha hi-lo, than compared to nl holdem.

So definitely something to think about, and even thought I first decided that I'm gonna stick 100% to holdem (because it has the majority of the players, and a big fishpool), I'm enjoying Omaha quite a lot now, and it's much more fun to play.




Here's the el busto hando:

***** Hand History for Game 4861244646 *****
PL Omaha Hi-Lo Trny:26835007 Level:11 Blinds(1000/2000) - Wednesday, August 02, 15:03:54 ET 2006
Table 7K Gtd. Rebuys(782727) Table #1 (Real Money)
Seat 10 is the button

Total number of players : 7
Seat 1: bluebir9 ( 4957 )
Seat 5: BobbyBusheax ( 17798 )
Seat 9: Durandalgrrr ( 44204 )
Seat 4: cancarryout ( 32942 )
Seat 3: KidWonder ( 114332 )
Seat 10: BlackCarpet ( 69641 )

Seat 2: basebask21 ( 33614 )
Trny:26835007 Level:11
Blinds(1000/2000)
Holecards:
Dealt to Durandalgrrr [ ]

FOLD KidWonder
CALL cancarryout, 2000
FOLD BobbyBusheax
RAISE Durandalgrrr , 9000
FOLD BlackCarpet
FOLD bluebir9
FOLD basebask21

CALL cancarryout, 7000
Flop: [ ]
CHECK cancarryout
BET Durandalgrrr , 21000

ALL-IN cancarryout [ 23942 ]
CALL Durandalgrrr , 2942
Turn: [ ]
River: [ ]

Durandalgrrr shows [ ] two pairs aces and fives .
Durandalgrrr shows 7 6 5 3 A for low .
cancarryout shows [ ] a flush ace high .

cancarryout shows 7 6 5 2 A for low .
cancarryout wins 34442 chips from the main pot with a flush ace high .
cancarryout wins Lo (34442 chips) from the main pot with 7 6 5 2 A .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home