Monday, March 13, 2006

Trip to lower stakes

It turned out one credit card can't be used to fund multiple accounts at party, so I had to wait a few weeks to get a new card. Meanwhile, I fucked around playing $25nl and $50nl and I want to discuss my experiences here.

First of all, I finally understood what people really meant by "loose, weak, passive" kind of players. Their general style of play, is to enter as many pots, minbet/minraise their way and see the showdown. Their utmost goal is to win the POT, instead of maximizing the amount of money they can make, or minimize the money lost compared to risk taken. There was two dominant type of people playing:

1) The very weak, minraising kind motherfucker. I seriously hate these guys. The only way you can force them all-in, is if they flop a set of aces. Needless to say, you WON'T be seeing many big pots playing with these around. All you will see is 7 guys minbetting and trying to see a cheap flop. I felt playing with these was a waste of time, since only way to make money was just to steal pots here and there. I'm very thankful I grinded past this limit and don't have to sit in the sandbox anymore.

2) The maniac, who likes to watch poker on tv and make crazy bets. The tricky part is, they're all lucky as hell. The one time you have a decent enough hand to call their all-in preflop, they'll outdraw you. These are the guys who are willing to play big pots and they'll pay their draws nicely. The problem I encountered here, is I was completely unable to read their hands. The times I stood up to them, they had something. Or I was willing to put my stack on risk because I couldn't believe they paid for runner-runner gutshot. It was all Martinspoker again.

I ended handsomely negative, and I tilted a lot. It was strange to see myself tilt, since the last times I played $100nl I had it very well under control. The last thing to say here is, one has to take the time to adjust to the new level he's entering (be it up or down) and really pay attention how the opponents play there, were it how stupid and unbelievable as possible. If you're playing these limits - enjoy it while it lasts. This will teach you strongheadness you'll need to cope with the bad beats - and they happen all the time here. It's the only way you lose actually, because otherwise you're tilting :) The grind is extremely slow, but necessary. Have fun, noobs ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home